If you, or someone you know, fall into those categories, whey offers an easy way to add more protein to your diet.
Whey, one of the two major proteins found in cow’s milk, is produced during the cheese-making process. It’s a natural high-quality protein that contains all of the essential amino acids. Some people add whey to their diet because it can help them achieve certain health benefits, including:
1. Maintain a healthy weight: A reduced-calorie, higher-protein diet that includes whey protein may help you maintain a healthy weight.
2. Curb hunger: Calorie for calorie, protein, like whey protein, can help people feel fuller longer than carbohydrates or fats.
3. Get lean: Eating protein, like whey protein, and performing resistance exercise, like strength training, can help build more lean muscle than resistance training alone or resistance training combined with eating carbohydrates.
4. Enhance recovery: Consuming protein, like whey protein, after exercising can help build and repair muscle.
5. Reduce muscle loss: Emerging research shows older adults may be able to reduce the age-related decline of muscle mass by engaging in resistance training and eating a diet higher in protein.
There are many easy ways you can incorporate whey into your diet. Look for energy bars, drink mixes and even yogurt that list whey protein. Plus, you can always purchase whey protein powder and add it to your smoothie, oatmeal, baked goods or other foods.