No matter your age, if you need an afternoon pick-me-up we’ve got you covered. Here are a number of smart snacking ideas that can help power you through the rest of your day - and remember, choose low-fat or fat-free options first:
Cheese cubes are always a quick, delicious option.
- Buy them cubed or chop them up at the beginning of the week so you can grab a handful whenever you need a quick snack.
- Add a few pretzel sticks to the mix to make a fun combo for kids and adults alike. Out of pretzels? Grab a piece of fruit or a few veggie sticks.
- Make cheese even more kid friendly by using a cookie cutter to cut it into fun shapes.
Yogurt can be the perfect go-to snack no matter if you’re on the go (grab a squeezeable yogurt) or at home (just grab a spoon and dig in)!
- Take your vanilla yogurt to the next level by mixing in a few other treats, like a spoonful of peanut butter and a few raspberries.
- You try freezing yogurt for a refreshing treat.
If you’re looking for some extra protein, reach for some Greek yogurt.
- Try buying the unflavored or vanilla Greek yogurt and customize it by adding fruit, honey, peanut butter or nuts. Experiment with a few ingredients to discover your favorite combo.
Rethink cereal as a breakfast-only option by having some as a snack.
- Mix in some yogurt in place of milk every now and then for a change in your routine.
Use up some of your leftover veggies by making a quick quesadilla.
- Opt for a spicy cheese or a chunky salsa for a punch of flavor.
A little cooking time is all it takes to make a week’s worth of snacks.
- Grab the muffin pan to make yummy creations like these quinoa pizza bites or bacon and egg breakfast cups.
- Scramble an egg and toss some cheese on top.
- Take it to the next level by rolling this up in a tortilla or putting it in a pita. Flavor it with some salsa or hot sauce.
Make a simple smoothie by combining some strawberry milk with bananas and ice.
- Change this up by blending a cup of milk with frozen raspberries and sweetened cocoa.
- Looking for something warm? Heat a cup of milk and mix in some Chai tea for a relaxing treat.
Headed out the door? Check out these ideas:
- Mix a cup of warmed milk with a teaspoon of instant coffee and sweetened cocoa for a simple mocha.
- Grab a drinkable yogurt before you head out the door.
- Microwave a cup of low-fat milk and honey and pour it into a thermos.
- Pack string cheese into your bag for a no-prep snack.