Every day there seems to be someone sharing a new perceived reason to cut out this food or that from your diet — some of them using a new study as the reason. Because new scientific research constantly becomes available, it can be confusing to understand the role one study plays in the larger scheme of things.
We’ve heard our share of beliefs from people who recommend ditching dairy, but when you look at the big picture, the truth comes out. Here are 12 reasons you can feel good about keeping dairy on your menu:
1. Acne affects more than just your skin, and no one wants to deal with it. As a result, some try giving up dairy for clearer skin, but research has shown that there isn’t a particular food that causes acne.
2. While some think living with lactose intolerance may be an end to enjoying milk, cheese and yogurt, there are still lactose intolerance friendly ways to keep dairy in your diet. Not sure if you have lactose intolerance? Here’s how you can find out.
3. Yes, some dairy foods can taste indulgent, but that doesn’t mean you need to remove them from your diet. Research has shown that you can manage your weight and overall wellness while still enjoying dairy foods. There are lower fat and lower calorie options available as well.
4. Enjoying your three servings of dairy a day can help heart health; it’s linked to a reduced risk of high blood pressure in adults as well as a reduced risk for cardiovascular disease, coronary disease and stroke.
5. Research indicates that the proteins in dairy may have a role in managing Type 2 diabetes, too.
6. Over the years, fat has gotten a bad rap. Learn more about the roles fat plays in food (like cheese!) and in the body, so you can feel good about the choices you make. It’s all about balance.
7. You’ve likely heard “drink milk for your bones,” but you may not realize the roles milk can play in a nutritious diet, including setting the stage for peak bone health later in life.
8. With so many beverage options available today, it can be overwhelming to understand all of them including their nutrients, vitamins and minerals, as well as price. Here’s a guide to help you better understand your options.
9. Milk’s an easy way to get the nutrients your body needs. For example, one 8-ounce glass has the same amount of calcium as 10 cups of raw spinach and as much potassium as a small banana. Learn more here.
10. From the farmer to your family, the dairy community is continually striving to make better, greener choices each step of the way. Learn more about this priority here.
11. When it comes to chocolate milk, we’ve all heard the myths, but science tells another story.
12. Lastly, you can feel good knowing where your milk comes from. America’s dairy farmers know great milk comes from healthy cows, so cow care is their top priority. Learn more about one farmer’s story here.
Have other questions or concerns? Not a problem. Check out our Dairy A-Z page to learn more.