- 1 (22-ounce) package plain jumbo croutons
- 1/2 cup (2-ounces) White Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 6 tablespoons low-fat Italian dressing
- 6 tablespoons whole berry cranberry sauce
- 3 Romaine lettuce hearts, washed, trimmed, halved
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 tablespoons shredded Romano cheese
To prepare croutons
1. Preheat oven to 350° F.
2. Place croutons on a baking sheet; top with shredded Cheddar cheese.
3. Bake for 3 to 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
To prepare dressing
1. In a small bowl, combine Italian dressing and cranberry sauce; whisk together until combined.
To prepare salad:
1. Cut romaine hearts in half; drizzle each half with 1-1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil.
2. In a large saute pan or on a charcoal grill, sear Romaine hearts on cut side over high heat for 10 to 15 seconds or until lightly charred.
3. Top one half romaine heart with 2 tablespoons dressing, 1 tablespoon Romano cheese, and 8 cheese croutons.
Tip: Croutons can be made from scratch by tossing 2 cups of day old bread cubes with 2 tablespoons of oil and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Place on a baking sheet and bake at 350°F for 8 to 12 minutes or until croutons are crisp.
Total Carbohydrate 24g 8%
Dietary Fiber 4g 15%