- 2 cups rolled oats (ground into 1 1/2 cup oat flour)
- 1 cup + 1/4 cup whole wheat flour (or white flour)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp oregano
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ¾ cup water (adjust amount as needed to reach described texture)
- 4 slices of turkey bacon
- 1/2 beefsteak tomato, chopped
- 1/4 white onion, chopped
- 1 ½ cups baby spinach
- ½ cup bell pepper, chopped
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 Tbsp Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 4 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- optional toppings: other veggies of your choice like olives, mushrooms, thinly sliced Roma tomatoes, minced garlic
Using a food processor grind the oats into a fine flour (measure 1 ½ cups of flour). Mix dry ingredients (minus 1/4 cup of the white whole wheat flour) in a bowl. Add olive oil and mix to combine. Slowly add water and continue mixing until dough is fully mixed. The dough will be sticky and wet at this point. Add in the last 1/4 cup of whole wheat flour and incorporate it into the dough using your hands.
Spread dough 1/8 of an inch thick using a rolling pin on a pizza stone or on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees and prebake pizza crust for 12 minutes.
In a bowl, whisk eggs and set aside. In a skillet cook bacon according to cooking directions. Once done, place on a paper towel and set aside. In the pan that the bacon was cooked in, add onion and pepper and sauté for about 3 minutes. Add tomatoes, spinach, salt and pepper and sauté until spinach is wilted.
Reduce the heat to low and pour eggs over the veggie mixture. Cook for about 30-45 seconds just until the eggs barely begin to set.
Pour egg mixture over crust, top with crumbled bacon and then sprinkle on cheese.
Bake for 15 minutes.
Remove from oven, sprinkle with chopped fresh basil, slice and serve. One pizza makes 8 slices.
If preparing this as an appetizer or snack, sautéing the vegetables in minced garlic and topping with sliced tomatoes delivers a more traditional pizza-like flavor.
Recipe courtesy of Kaila Proulx.